Forums
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Seasonal mountain pass opening status & campgrounds
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:48 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Spirit Tree wrote:
Nice pics SL.
What is the water temp? I would gather rather chilly. Imagine if someone would dump in without wetsuit or such, hypo would set in kind of quickly.

Couldn't tell you the water temp...maybe 40-45 degrees? My girlfriend DID fall into the drink last Tuesday. We paddled around to the inlet by the new bridge that leads to Lake George behind Pokonobe Lodge and the water was moving pretty swift. She got the bright idea of wanting to "shoot the rapids" and paddled upstream, then floated quickly downstream in the flow. I was yelling for her to stop a second attempt and was coming about because the current kept pushing me away from her. When my back was turned for just a moment, I heard a female angler from shore tell me my friend had just gone in and at the same moment heard my friend shout my name. Luckily, she was pushed into the willows so she grabbed on to them, flipped her yak back up, had hung on to her paddle (but lost her water bottle) and swam her boat out of the strong flow and over to a very muddy shore.

She's been a lifeguard for 35 years and knew better, but thankfully she was wearing her PFD and knew how to swim strongly out of the current to safety. She was pretty shaken up and pretty cold, especially her feet and she was even wearing water socks under her water shoes. She now knows what all the training videos and stories were about when they talked about how one can become hypothermic so quickly and drown from shock!

Here she is trying to get up the muddy embankment that sucked one of her shoes off!

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:55 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

playfulcoyote wrote:
Great Pics SL, thanks.
It's great to see that you take every chance you get to get out there and be active regardless of the season or weather. It's too bad that SG is having heath issues. I can relate, the last 5 years it seems like "the wheels have been falling off the bus", there's always something acting up. It ain't easy getting older.

Thanks, PC! I try to get out there to enjoy where we live as often as time allows. It's not easy being a caregiver as many on this forum knows who are or have been in similar situations. The times I do get out either by myself or with friends are really enjoyed and cherished!

It sucks getting old and have those wheels fall off the bus, but it sure beats the alternative! :P

Here's another great shot from Tuesday looking down at Twin Falls through the rotting snow at the overlook.

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:09 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Sierra Lady wrote:
Spirit Tree wrote:
Nice pics SL.
What is the water temp? I would gather rather chilly. Imagine if someone would dump in without wetsuit or such, hypo would set in kind of quickly.

Couldn't tell you the water temp...maybe 40-45 degrees?

I'm glad nothing happened to your friend. ST, when we were hiking in Yellowstone one of the lakes we went by had a sign posted that the water temp. was 45F and if you fell in, you had 20 minutes. I've always remembered that.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:22 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

A bit of good news from the INF regarding ped and bike traffic allowed on Reds Road...

https://www.facebook.com/inyonf/?hc_ref ... NE&fref=nf

Quote:
The Inyo National Forest is currently permitting pedestrians and bicycles to use the Reds Meadow Road. The road remains closed to cars and other vehicles except administrative traffic.
The road had been previously closed for pedestrian and bike traffic for safety because of maintenance work, hazard tree falling, and other intensive work along the road corridor.
Those who walk/bike the Reds Meadow Rd. should be aware that maintenance work is continuing, at a diminished scale, and stop for or avoid road work.
Bicyclists should understand that the road has not been swept. Rocks, limbs, and other debris on the road will present hazards for cyclists that will require extreme caution.
Enjoy your holiday weekend.

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:12 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

The USFS opened the gate to Horseshoe Lake this morning. Caution is still advised for CO2 in the snow that hasn't melted out around the tree kill area however.

I've seen photos of the lake from friends who have been up there. I haven't seen it this full since I moved here in '83! :o Looking forward to kayaking it after the holiday is over when the majority of the crowds are gone.

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:10 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Bunch of campgrounds still closed so don't come up and yell at the lady at Mammoth RV Park, it's not her fault ur stupid.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:10 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

I went up to some of those campgrounds this weekend...

Coldwater - mostly clear, very little snow, not a whole lot of damage. I did see one fire ring that was turned over

Twin lakes - clear

Lake Mary - clear

Lake George - Looked clear

I'm not that happy about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:52 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Not happy that they "appear" clear and are not open yet?

All the campgrounds need to be cleaned up of debris and the water systems repaired so they can get up and running. The USFS simply doesn't have the field staff to get all that done very quickly. Blame years of Washington continually slashing their budget. Natural resource agencies just don't get the funding they deserve any more. :(

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:02 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Sierra Lady wrote:
Not happy that they "appear" clear and are not open yet?

All the campgrounds need to be cleaned up of debris and the water systems repaired so they can get up and running. The USFS simply doesn't have the field staff to get all that done very quickly. Blame years of Washington continually slashing their budget. Natural resource agencies just don't get the funding they deserve any more. :(

Ya, I should've been more clear. My Dad was so mad that he actually called Uncle Sam to complain! haha

Anyways, one of us is going up early Wednesday morning to try and snag a first-come-first-served site somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:08 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

From Visit Mammoth's FB page a half hour ago:

Quote:
Planned Campground Openings
June Lake Loop is now open.
Mammoth Lakes Basin:
Twin Lakes – To Be Determined
Lake Mary – July 13th
Lake George – July 20th
Coldwater – July 20th
Pine City – July 20th
Reds Meadow:
All Reds Meadow Area – July 15th, except for Agnew Meadows opening July 30th
Lee Vining Canyon:
Tioga Pass Campgrounds – TBD – Big Bend has been evacuated due to flooding.

Read this on the Red's Meadow Resort & Pack Station's FB page a little while ago:
https://www.facebook.com/Reds-Meadow-Re ... 154849489/
Quote:
As a Forest Service permittee, we must comply with Forest Service requests. Unfortunately we have been asked to completely shut down our operations as the Forest Service has concerns with the safety of their road that leads to Red's Meadow. For further information please call 760-924-5500.

SG's letter to the Sheet editor after last week's article with inaccuracies about the Red's Road:

Quote:
Ted, the July 1st edition of "The Sheet" contained a very inaccurate statement in the section "Local Briefs." The statement was made relative to the opening of the Reds Meadow road: "This will be the first time the road will not open by Independence Day." I have access to official records of the opening and closing days for this road that span from 1970 to 1998. This record shows July 1st openings in 1972, 1973, and 1980; July 2nd in 1982; these dates showing years when the road was not open for the entire July 4th holiday. As for openings later than July 4th, the road opened on July 15th in 1983 and July 7th in 1995. The snowpack in 2017 is just above the amount experienced in 1983 and the opening date that year serves as a good comparison. The 1994-1995 winter also had the longest period of closing having been 1st closed on October 4th and not opening until July 7th.

As a side note, there were campgrounds and other facilities in the Mammoth Lakes Basin and the Reds Meadow/Devils Postpile area that did not open until late July and dates in August in 1995, for example Lake George Campground did not open until July 22nd that year.

The 2017 snowpack presents challenges that were not experienced in 1983 and 1995, with one of these being the wear and tear on a road not designed or constructed to be opened as early as has been experienced in the last 37 years. The roadbed and pavement thickness is not adequate to withstand the heavy traffic on the road while the road bed is still wet. The average thickness of the pavement is only 2" as compared to the 7-8" thickness of State Highway 203 above the town of Mammoth Lakes. Other inadequacies of the 1979 paving of the Reds Road include the lack of soil retaining structures in the loose pumice soils of the grade between Minaret Summit and the Agnew Meadows road turnoff. The other shortcoming is the thickness and compaction requirements of the road bed, a factor that most people do not understand. The large, heavy buses being used for day use visitors now were not envisioned when the road was paved in 1979. The goal of that design was to eliminate dust and the washboarding of the dirt surface that had greatly increased when traffic increased enormously from the late 1960's through the 1970's.

I was the Frontcountry Recreation Supervisor on the Mammoth Ranger District, Inyo National Forest from 1988 to 1998. I was very much involved in the decisions made and work accomplished to maintain this road. There are obvious commercial factors involved in this effort, however, the result was always a "kicking the can down the road" consideration when observing the deterioration of the road on an annual basis. It was my experience that very few people wanted to acknowledge this deterioration, instead they focused on how early the road could be opened and how late it could be closed. It is now obvious that we can't ignore the problem and continue to kick the can down the road.

SG
U.S. Forest Service 1974-1999, Retired

www.mammothmuseum.org

Last edited by Sierra Lady on Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:13 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

SL! Delete that post now ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:29 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Sierra Lady wrote:
From Visit Mammoth's FB page a half hour ago:

Quote:
Planned Campground Openings
June Lake Loop is now open.
Mammoth Lakes Basin:
Twin Lakes – To Be Determined
Lake Mary – July 13th
Lake George – July 20th
Coldwater – July 20th
Pine City – July 20th
Reds Meadow:
All Reds Meadow Area – July 15th, except for Agnew Meadows opening July 30th
Lee Vining Canyon:
Tioga Pass Campgrounds – TBD – Big Bend has been evacuated due to flooding.

Read this on the Red's Meadow Resort & Pack Station's FB page a little while ago:
https://www.facebook.com/Reds-Meadow-Re ... 154849489/
Quote:
As a Forest Service permittee, we must comply with Forest Service requests. Unfortunately we have been asked to completely shut down our operations as the Forest Service has concerns with the safety of their road that leads to Red's Meadow. For further information please call 760-924-5500.

SG's letter to the Sheet editor after last week's article with inaccuracies about the Red's Road:

Quote:
Ted, the July 1st edition of "The Sheet" contained a very inaccurate statement in the section "Local Briefs." The statement was made relative to the opening of the Reds Meadow road: "This will be the first time the road will not open by Independence Day." I have access to official records of the opening and closing days for this road that span from 1970 to 1998. This record shows July 1st openings in 1972, 1973, and 1980; July 2nd in 1982; these dates showing years when the road was not open for the entire July 4th holiday. As for openings later than July 4th, the road opened on July 15th in 1983 and July 7th in 1995. The snowpack in 2017 is just above the amount experienced in 1983 and the opening date that year serves as a good comparison. The 1994-1995 winter also had the longest period of closing having been 1st closed on October 4th and not opening until July 7th.

As a side note, there were campgrounds and other facilities in the Mammoth Lakes Basin and the Reds Meadow/Devils Postpile area that did not open until late July and dates in August in 1995, for example Lake George Campground did not open until July 22nd that year.

The 2017 snowpack presents challenges that were not experienced in 1983 and 1995, with one of these being the wear and tear on a road not designed or constructed to be opened as early as has been experienced in the last 37 years. The roadbed and pavement thickness is not adequate to withstand the heavy traffic on the road while the road bed is still wet. The average thickness of the pavement is only 2" as compared to the 7-8" thickness of State Highway 203 above the town of Mammoth Lakes. Other inadequacies of the 1979 paving of the Reds Road include the lack of soil retaining structures in the loose pumice soils of the grade between Minaret Summit and the Agnew Meadows road turnoff. The other shortcoming is the thickness and compaction requirements of the road bed, a factor that most people do not understand. The large, heavy buses being used for day use visitors now were not envisioned when the road was paved in 1979. The goal of that design was to eliminate dust and the washboarding of the dirt surface that had greatly increased when traffic increased enormously from the late 1960's through the 1970's.

I was the Frontcountry Recreation Supervisor on the Mammoth Ranger District, Inyo National Forest from 1988 to 1998. I was very much involved in the decisions made and work accomplished to maintain this road. There are obvious commercial factors involved in this effort, however, the result was always a "kicking the can down the road" consideration when observing the deterioration of the road on an annual basis. It was my experience that very few people wanted to acknowledge this deterioration, instead they focused on how early the road could be opened and how late it could be closed. It is now obvious that we can't ignore the problem and continue to kick the can down the road.

SG
U.S. Forest Service 1974-1999, Retired

micdrop

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:15 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

New fees for BLM campgrounds in Eastern Sierra

(Full article in link.)

Quote:
Campground Current Fee 2017-2018 Fee
Tuttle CreekCampground, Inyo County $5.00/site/night $8.00/site/night
Horton CreekCampground, Inyo County $5.00/site/night $8.00/site/night
Crowley LakeCampground, Mono County $5.00/site/night $8.00/site/night
Pleasant Valley PitCampground, Inyo County $2.00/car/night $5.00/site/night
Goodale CreekCampground, Inyo County $5.00/site/night $5.00/site/night*
Tuttle Creek Group Site $30.00/night $30.00/night*
Tuttle Creek Horse Corals $10.00/night $10.00/night*
Dump Station $5.00/dump $5.00/dump*
* Fees are unchanged

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:44 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Note to SG - I worked for the USFS in 1978 and 1981. Seems to me that the busses were envisioned as part of the Red's Meadow paving process. Because that's how they were going to prevent too much traffic and speeding after the road was paved. The old dirt road had taken care of that previously. Probably the only one still around that would remember is Bobby Tanner. I know the busses were running in 1981.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:42 pm 
Broadway
Broadway

The two smaller camping areas at Twin Lakes Campground are now open and FULL. The back section is full of blow downs and hazzard trees thzt they have cut down. It's a total mess

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next