Forums
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big Sur landslide
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:22 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Since the forum is partly road conditions I thought I'd not bury it in the weather threads.

I am seriously impressed by this. Aerial video of the slide in the article.

Massive landslide covers Highway 1 in southern Big Sur

Big Sur – Caltrans said Monday its unclear how long Highway 1 in southern Big Sur will remain closed after a landslide covering between a quarter and a half mile brought millions of cubic yards of dirt and rock down the hillside at Mud Creek on Saturday.

The slide activity at Mud Creek started back in January and hasn’t relented all year. Cruz said the road and the hillside were at a steep angle. Highway 1 had already been down to only a partial lane before the slide. She said the remaining part of the road was likely wiped out by the slide and Caltrans says the road bed is covered in 35-40 feet of rock and dirt.

“We have no idea how to assess it right now until it stops moving,” she said. “So we have no idea on a time frame (of when the highway will reopen).”

I'm impressed not only by the size of the slide, but also by the time interval past the heavy rains. It makes me wonder how many other ticking time bombs are out there on California slopes.

Post subject: Re: Big Sur landslide
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:47 am 
Broadway
Broadway

snowhottie wrote:
Since the forum is partly road conditions I thought I'd not bury it in the weather threads.

I am seriously impressed by this. Aerial video of the slide in the article.

Massive landslide covers Highway 1 in southern Big Sur

Big Sur – Caltrans said Monday its unclear how long Highway 1 in southern Big Sur will remain closed after a landslide covering between a quarter and a half mile brought millions of cubic yards of dirt and rock down the hillside at Mud Creek on Saturday.

The slide activity at Mud Creek started back in January and hasn’t relented all year. Cruz said the road and the hillside were at a steep angle. Highway 1 had already been down to only a partial lane before the slide. She said the remaining part of the road was likely wiped out by the slide and Caltrans says the road bed is covered in 35-40 feet of rock and dirt.

“We have no idea how to assess it right now until it stops moving,” she said. “So we have no idea on a time frame (of when the highway will reopen).”

I'm impressed not only by the size of the slide, but also by the time interval past the heavy rains. It makes me wonder how many other ticking time bombs are out there on California slopes.

People in cars buried?

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:26 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

That is massive. I feel a little sorry for the people living in the area because of the detours they are going to have to make in their everyday lives. I don't feel too sorry though, after all they are living on the Big Sur coastline. On the plus side, this should provide some nice sandy beaches for years to come down current of the slide area.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:39 pm 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

California never stops falling into the ocean.

When I saw all the dirt first thing I thought was 'new beach'.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:24 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

New Point Break!!

"Landslide Point" now.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:27 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Look how lonely Big Sur is these days
Landslides and a busted bridge have made Big Sur an isolated place

Big Sur just can’t catch a break.

First, winter storms knocked the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge out of commission, splitting the Big Sur community on the California coast in two with a rebuild-completion day not expected until the end of September.

Now we have a massive landslide – or rather five different massive landslides – that have cut off Highway 1 about nine miles north of the southern Monterey County border. You can thank Mother Nature and her storm-packed winter of 2016-17 for the saturated ground that finally gave way. With no word yet on how long the highway might be unpassable, residents up and down the coast continue to grapple with the challenges of being largely cut off from the rest of the world.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:31 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

In the spirit of Capitalism, someone's found a way to make money out of it.
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/23/c ... elicopter/

All the chaos, however, is transforming the southern stretch of an old counterculture paradise — between Mud Creek and Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge — into a place affordable only to well-to-do visitors. While northern Big Sur businesses remain accessible, iconic places like Post Ranch Inn, Ventana and Nepenthe restaurant are cut off.

For prices ranging from $4,300 to $13,500, the posh Post Ranch Inn will carry you and a friend to the resort by helicopter from the Del Monte Aviation’s tarmac at Monterey Regional Airport for a two- to four-night stay — meals and yoga included. The package is called “Escape Through The Skies.”

“It’s an incredible ride, and the only way to get here,” said Big Sur native Kirk Gafill, president of the Big Sur Chamber of Commerce. “It’s a unique opportunity to come during this quiet time.”

About 200 people per week, on average, are flying to Big Sur from other parts of California but also from Texas, New York, Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany and parts of South America and Asia, according to Kelsey Gummow, a spokeswoman for the Post Ranch Inn.

Once there, how do you get around? Easy: Borrow one of the inn’s complimentary Lexuses.