Forums
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Total Solar Eclipse
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:22 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Watched it from the top of Grand Targhee resort. AMAZING. Worth the 20 hours of driving each way. Watching the shadow approach gave me chills. Can't wait for the next one!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:49 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

SurfnSnowboard wrote:
Watched it from the top of Grand Targhee resort. AMAZING. Worth the 20 hours of driving each way. Watching the shadow approach gave me chills. Can't wait for the next one!

I saw the one in Idaho on CNN and I am going to travel to see the one in 2024. It looks awesome! It was only about 60% here in HB but the sun was out just in time for me to break out my blackout glasses to check it out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:51 pm 
Climax
Climax

This is headline from the news - "USA forgets its troubles as solar eclipse captivates nation"
and you wonder why we are on this forum....all 12 of us.

SnS that sounds like a blast.

Cheaps nice viewer box ingenuity.

Last edited by Spirit Tree on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:05 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

I felt so sorry for Carbondale and Nashville because of the clouds but it was cool to see the lights come on in the darkness. Also that 360 degree sunset effect.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:20 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Was more amazing than I thought it would be. Didn't see the shadow approach cause we were on the flats, but saw multiple eclipses floating through the leaves and saw the shimmer waves right before and after totality. Taking off the glassers during totality was just amazing and everyone cheered. 360 degree twilite was also very cool. The freshly brewed blackout ale was a nice finish..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:02 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Skien now that you know what its all about, you understand.

I just read some weather satellites got pics of the shadow, anyone have a link?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:17 pm 
Climax
Climax

snowhottie wrote:
Skien now that you know what its all about, you understand.

I just read some weather satellites got pics of the shadow, anyone have a link?
2NAKLLR wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:02 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

2NAKLLR wrote:

I was looking forward to seeing this, thanks for posting a link.

Nice improvising Cheaps and thanks for the pic.

Spirit Tree wrote:
This is headline from the news - "USA forgets its troubles as solar eclipse captivates nation"

It was so refreshing to turn on the TV and not hear about the usual "dark shadow" over the US

SurfnSnowboard wrote:

That is awesome SNS, so glad you made it up there. Watching it with some elevation sounds like the way to go. I've been telling myself, since I missed out this time around that I would plan ahead and catch the one in 2024 or maybe even the 2019 one in Chile/Argentina (I was frustrated that I missed out on snowboarding down there this last trip and I consoled myself by saying that I would be back to do it another time. Well the eclipse is in early July down there so that would be perfect, kill two birds with one stone) anyhow, watching it on TV was really disappointing and somewhat annoying and even had me second guessing whether or not it was worth the effort. Your experience has re-motivated me.

Getting back to watching it on TV, I would have been so upset if I had a camera crew and some annoying reporter in my face asking stupid questions during the duration of the totality. In a couple of the cases it even looked like they had the lights on for the camera. I was surprised to see people more interested in trying to get on camera than watching a once in a lifetime event. They would be in the back ground jumping and waving at the camera while the event was taking place. Some of these people said they had been planning on it for years and some had traveled from other countries to watch it and then they spent the entire two minutes talking into the camera. Go figure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:22 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Skien wrote:
Was more amazing than I thought it would be. Didn't see the shadow approach cause we were on the flats, but saw multiple eclipses floating through the leaves and saw the shimmer waves right before and after totality. Taking off the glassers during totality was just amazing and everyone cheered. 360 degree twilite was also very cool. The freshly brewed blackout ale was a nice finish..

How very cool, I want to see one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:41 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

For those of you who traveled, did you see a lot of other people flocking too? I hope those small towns got some dinero out of this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:35 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

8/21/17 When I scratched Plan A to view the eclipse on top of Mammoth Mountain due to the dark clouds moving in, I went to my girlfriend Launa's office to watch since she had an extra pair of new eclipse shades. We acted nerdy and geeky while trying to photograph our 83% of the eclipse on our cell phones using the selfie method, shades over cell phone camera lens method, white cardboard with pinhole in it method and colander method. It was so cool and we even saw a sun dog when it was almost over!

The colander method turned out the best, eclipse glasses over the cell phone camera lens next, the white cardboard was too faint to photograph and as you can see, the selfie was a complete failure as I didn't even get the sun in the photo...LOL! :rofl:

Looking forward to seeing some of SnS's photos though. Nice job on the viewer box, Cheaps!

www.mammothmuseum.org

Last edited by Sierra Lady on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:45 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

I posted several story updates on IG along with the video of the shadow coming and going. Everything about today has been perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:36 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Here are a few pics. The first one is the eclipse shadows through leaves before totality and the second one was after, so image has reversed.
The third is a shot of Baileys beads, not mine but shared to me by a friend in the group.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:41 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

For those of you who experienced totality. Werent you surprised at how bright the corona was?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:23 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

A definite yes on that. Photo above was optimized for the Bailey beads, but for non magnified viewing the corona was huge and shifting and moving around. Was totally awesome:)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next