Forums
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: September wx
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:16 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Chilly weather on the way for Mammoth with a low temps at Main Lodge in the mid 20s forecast for early next week. Fall is around the corner!

Post subject: Re: September wx
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:26 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Hmmm. Headed up in a couple of weeks to Reds Meadow. Might have to pack and extra sleeping bag...or three.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:39 am 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Fall has already arrived and it feels great up here. Got a fire on right now, was 55 in the house this am. Yahooooo

http://mammothsnowman.com
http://discovermammoth.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:30 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

nice - this pretty much mean bug free camping at red's, etc?

september camping truly the best camping

when there's a freeze, that is!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:33 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Thousands of frozen skeeters falling from the sky does give me the Autumn feels.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:28 pm 
Broadway
Broadway

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.shtml

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:35 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Crap...I guess my lap swimming and kayaking are over. :( (Unless it warms up again with a nice Indian Summer.)

Fall colors have begun high up in Rock Creek Canyon. Photos on Rock Creek Resort's FB page.

http://mammothweather.com/

Quote:
Yesterdays thunderstorms brought some nice rains during the afternoon. The two reporting stations in Mammoth indicated between .14 and .19 of an inch. There was small hail as well. The upper level low is getting the boot inland today as the first Fall Trof makes its way through Central CA at 18Z Thursday. Through the process, we’ll have another day of convection today and the chance of some thunderstorms, but today does not look as active as yesterday for Southern Mono County. In fact the Rapid Refresh Model keeps the bulk of the precip from about Mono Lake northward, for today Wednesday.

Longer Range:

Again…the transition from Summer weather to Fall will occur Thursday. Winds over the higher elevation may gust to 50mph at 10,000-11,000 feet over the passes. Much cooler temperatures are expected Friday with highs in the low 60s in Mammoth and low 50s at elevations above 10,000 feet. Overnight lows will trop to the 20s in the back country Friday AM, then the chilly air settles into the lower elevations over the weekend. Weekend Lows will be in the upper 20s and low 30s at elevations between 6500 and 8000 ft with highs in Mammoth in the low 60s.

By Monday some moderation in temps is expected of about 3 to 4 degrees. The warming will be short lived though, as an anomalous cold Trof for late Summer is forecasted to dig into CA Tuesday and Wednesday. Some of the quick details suggest 500MB temps of -19C and 1000-500MB thicknesses in the low 550s by Wednesday. No doubt it will be rather chilly as Summer makes its exit. These parameters suggest highs in the 40s on Wednesday with lows well down into the 20s. Say goodbye to your tomatos?

With this trof, will come the possibility of the first significant dusting of a few inches over the higher elevations. Climo looks good for this with the equinox storm. However, no matter what we expect, weather is always what you will get, so more time is needed to fine tune the details about the weather for the middle of next week.

Dr Howard and the Dweebs…………………..:-)

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:24 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

MtnViper wrote:

and upper-level winds were anomalously easterly over a small area of the east-central Pacific.
See see?

We had a dry El Nino, can we get a wet La Nina?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:34 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

For anyone that doesn't want to bother clicking on the link:

Synopsis: There is an increasing chance (~55-60%) of La Niña during the Northern Hemisphere fall and winter 2017-18.

It certainly looks like a La Niña is building based on the rate that water temps are dropping in the Nino 3.4 region. I have a feeling this won't be a typical La Niña pattern for California.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:10 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

A buddy of mine wanted to go on a backpacking trip last weekend over Bishop pass, I pushed him back until next weekend because I had a bunch of stuff to do. He was concerned about it being too late in the season and I said there was no immediate pattern change on the horizon (that was a couple of weeks ago) and that we should be good. Now we're looking at lows in the twenties with a slight chance of a dusting of snow. Oh well, now I'll have to sell him on the idea that we won't have to deal with mosquitoes and there could be some fall color. It still should be nice though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:05 am 
Rodger's Ridge

Jackson Hole posted that there's a winter storm forecast and they should get the first snow of the season today.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:45 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

playfulcoyote wrote:
A buddy of mine wanted to go on a backpacking trip last weekend over Bishop pass, I pushed him back until next weekend because I had a bunch of stuff to do. He was concerned about it being too late in the season and I said there was no immediate pattern change on the horizon (that was a couple of weeks ago) and that we should be good.

I've found that Labor Day is the changing of the seasons in Mammoth and also Yellowstone. Like literally it can suddenly snow on you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:58 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Big Sky is getting snow today and Jackson Hole has a dusting so far.

Big Sky Resort cam

https://bigskyresort.com/the-mountain/w ... 1bnjnr7xzl

Jackson Hole Resort cam

https://www.jacksonhole.com/live-mountain-cams.html

Only 64 hErE today! Our condo pool is now closed for the season...boo! :(

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:34 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

snowhottie wrote:
playfulcoyote wrote:
A buddy of mine wanted to go on a backpacking trip last weekend over Bishop pass, I pushed him back until next weekend because I had a bunch of stuff to do. He was concerned about it being too late in the season and I said there was no immediate pattern change on the horizon (that was a couple of weeks ago) and that we should be good.

I've found that Labor Day is the changing of the seasons in Mammoth and also Yellowstone. Like literally it can suddenly snow on you.

Sigh!...Yeah, I kind of knew I was pushing it but I had a feeling that it was going to be a late arrival of fall. I think there were a number of factors that made me feel that way. First we had a very late melt off so the back country didn't open up until about July, then I took off for the southern hemisphere for the month of July (the middle of their winter) and then it has been so hot the month of August. So to me it still felt like the middle of the summer and the cold weather was a good month away. I should have known better. Just drove up to Mammoth tonight, it definitely feels fall like out there tonight (38 degrees in town) what a contrast from last weekend. Two weekends ago I had all the windows open at night and I was sleeping on top of the covers because I was sweating. Maybe I'll push the trip back another week and hope for an Indian summer. It sure was a short summer for me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:14 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

playfulcoyote wrote:
Maybe I'll push the trip back another week and hope for an Indian summer. It sure was a short summer for me.

Thursday A slight chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 49.
Thursday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 29.
Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near 49.

Thats for Main Lodge level. Well I guess you could keep delaying and hoping for the best, but so did the Donner Party. :o