Forums
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: January SoCal WX...Talk.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:59 pm 
Climax
Climax

My tally came in at 2.85", nice pool refill.
My nearest station came in at 2.88"..
No mention of wrap around..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:01 pm 
Climax
Climax

2NAKLLR wrote:
Code:
TOP RAINFALL AMOUNTS FROM ALL LOCAL AREAS

ORTEGA HILL (VENTURA COUNTY)....... 5.90
OLD MAN MOUNTAIN (VENTURA COUNTY).......... 5.55
OPIDS CAMP (LA COUNTY).............. 5.13
ALAMO MOUNTAIN (VENTURA COUNTY)........... 4.51
CRYSTAL LAKE (LA COUNTY)............. 4.41
WEST FORK HELIPORT (LA COUNTY)........... 4.21
EL DESEO (SBA COUNTY)............ 4.09
SAN MARCOS PASS (SBA COUNTY)........... 4.00
MT BALDY (LA COUNTY)............ 3.90
ROCKY BUTTE (SLO COUNTY)....... 3.50

Notable.

The last total batch looks like a sales receipt.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:12 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

WooHOO bonus rain.
Still getting showers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:34 am 
Rodger's Ridge

Check out this video on Instagram. This user posted quite a few more too. Just looking at the damage to the vehicles tells you how bad it was.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdwNkcDBsYv/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:08 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

That was a really impressive storm for San Diego County and delivered twice as much rain as forecast in many places. Officially it cut the precipitation deficit in half for San Diego.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:46 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

The debris flow in Montecito was very sad. I'm confused at the fatalities directly caused by that event though.

I think what saved the burn areas here this time around was we didnt have any catastrophic downpours. They still got a lot of rain up there but it was a very steady event.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:54 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

The GFS has been pinging consistently on the 19th for SoCal the last few days.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:57 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Nice cold one there!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:04 am 
Climax
Climax

snowhottie wrote:
The debris flow in Montecito was very sad. I'm confused at the fatalities directly caused by that event though.

I think what saved the burn areas here this time around was we didnt have any catastrophic downpours. They still got a lot of rain up there but it was a very steady event.

Heard one source state the debris field from the flow is 30 square miles.. guess the 101 was the catch basin.
Videos starting to come in of the early morning hours and just astonishing. Imagine have a debris flow just going through your house and standing on the counters for a couple hours in the dark; feeling the boulders hit around you. That was just one scenario...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:13 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Are there any maps anywhere? I went on Google maps to just get an orientation and was astonished the satellite view is already updated with the burn area. Its astonishing how much area it covers.

While it all happened too quickly I seem to remember, was it for the Station Fire area? that during the Winter if the rainfall rate got to a certain level it triggered an siren alarm to residents. Maybe they need something like that.

The people further in, how are they getting food and water?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:28 am 
Climax
Climax

I guess they didn't have too much time to plan. The fire was technically still going at 92% containment.
Also keep hearing unprecedented rain amounts .86" in 15 min.
Hopefully peoples got out by now. The infrastructure is shot...
Must say some of those houses were huge. When you see 7 rooftop AC units on the roof, it's big.
The local news up there pbly has more answers than the 3 minutes LA is covering now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:52 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Spirit Tree wrote:
snowhottie wrote:

Heard one source state the debris field from the flow is 30 square miles.. guess the 101 was the catch basin.
Videos starting to come in of the early morning hours and just astonishing. Imagine have a debris flow just going through your house and standing on the counters for a couple hours in the dark; feeling the boulders hit around you. That was just one scenario...

The firm I work for bid on the 101 widening in that area (didn't get it :(). There are a series of very old bridges along the 101 in this area that are not built to handle the flood flows. Part of the project was to increase the spans of these bridges to improve the storm flow capacity. the problem with that is that the channels between the 101 and the ocean are also not built to carry the 100 year storm flows, so essentially you can't do the necessary improvements on the freeway until that is fixed (the freeway currently acts as a fuse to keep those homes from getting flooded). None of that matters in this case as the homes were inundated with mud and rocks, not just water, all upstream from the storm channels, and there isn't a storm channel anywhere that could have helped. Regardless, the City, the County, Caltrans, everyone knew about the storm channel capacity problem, so it would not surprise me to see that come up later in a lawsuit (baseless, but that doesn't stop lawyers from making a case out of it).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:35 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

I don't know how forceful they were in their evacuation efforts but something like this should not have come as a complete shock. They were predicting heavy thunderstorms with rainfall rates of 1.5 inches per hour over steep freshly baked soil. I heard they sent out reverse 911 calls but not until after the flash floods had occurred. I suspect that people did not realize the danger level of the situation. With an out of control wildfire it is easy to understand the danger and to see it coming and people evacuate but something like this I guess it is hard for people to visualize what may happen. The property damage couldn't have been stopped but those canyons should have been evacuated for the night.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:54 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Boy looking at some of that footage the power of those floods were impressive. There were boulders the size of motor homes, nothing was going to stop something like that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:11 pm 
Climax
Climax

https://www.independent.com/news/2018/j ... predicted/
Hind site is always 20/20 now is a chance to fore warn the population; SB - Ventura. It will rain again...
take a gander at the map. Evac and rescue zone - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... R2-POpliv2

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next