Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
 Post subject: Re: Stormsss MARCHing through...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:11 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

snowhottie wrote:
I was watching this week's Nature on beavers and how because they also make really deep channels within their ponds for water storage and protection, during some bad droughts the ranchers who had beaver on their property had a water supply and neighbors were asking for water. Make America Beaver Friendly Again.

Also you could direct them where to build dams by playing the sound of rushing water ("Oh! dam break must repair!") in the spot you wanted.

I was always told that beavers were not native to the Sierra Nevada Mnts. and that they had been stocked there. After seeing your post I decided to look it up and boy was I wrong. (the current beavers had been stocked there but only after the native ones had been eliminated, they use to be everywhere in California in the past) It sounds like trapping the beaver into near extinction in California really altered the environment. Make California Beaver Friendly Again. Yes there is a lot of potential for jokes but I wont go there. Just like with wolves the prevailing attitude towards beaver need to be changed. They are valuable animals to have in the environment. Here is the article I read. They mention the Nature program at the end of it.
https://baynature.org/article/beavers-u ... alifornia/

Post subject: Re: Stormsss MARCHing through...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:26 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Quote:
It is perhaps because of their longtime absence that beavers are so overlooked as a solution to today’s conservation problems. Need help restoring a wetland, or recharging groundwater? You could bring in a beaver. Does your river dry out for half the year? A family of beavers might fix that. Are you trying to bring back salmon populations, or red-legged frogs? Beavers.

“I’m not OCD on beaver here,” said Dolman. “But they are a tool in the toolbox. They have the capacity to provide a level of service to the ecosystem that is better and more durable and cheaper than we can do.”

If the program set out to inspire this thought it sure did with me. Let them do the work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22