Forums
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: History of floods in California
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:59 am 
Rodger's Ridge

Really good article about the history of massive flooding in California driven by AR events. Imagine LA getting 65" of rain in 45 days! Of course California isn't anywhere close to being prepared for a flood of this magnitude anywhere in the state.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california ... story.html

Post subject: Re: History of floods in California
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:40 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

SurfnSnowboard wrote:
Really good article about the history of massive flooding in California driven by AR events. Imagine LA getting 65" of rain in 45 days! Of course California isn't anywhere close to being prepared for a flood of this magnitude anywhere in the state.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california ... story.html

Yeah I was reading that last night, thanks for posting it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:04 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Compare that article with this story blaming climate change for the fires and floods that hit Montecito.

https://www.wired.com/story/montecito-i ... rnia-town/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:53 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

SurfnSnowboard wrote:
Compare that article with this story blaming climate change for the fires and floods that hit Montecito.

https://www.wired.com/story/montecito-i ... rnia-town/

That's about the dumbest thing I ever read. One storm, one season, heck, even one decade does not tell us anything about climate change. Yes, Montecito had a fire, then a couple of strong storms. Saying that climate change had anything to do with that completely ignores the fact that everything south of Palos Verdes got almost no rain out of the last storm especially. It's just weather - adapt or don't, your choice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:43 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Ya'll sure you read it:

Quote:
Obviously no one can know for sure. But the science suggests that every aspect of California’s drought-to-deluge cycle is intensifying in the face of climate change. Even the Pineapple Express.

lmao

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:33 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Quote:
Obviously no one can know for sure. But the science suggests that every aspect of California’s drought-to-deluge cycle is intensifying in the face of climate change. Even the Pineapple Express.

Obviously no one can know for sure. But we're going to go ahead and make the claim none the less.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:52 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Not sure why these two articles need to be opposed or compared to each other. One was an article on the tremendous flood potential in Southern California. I have seen maps of the flood plain for Orange County and if we have one of these suckers it will be devastation to much of the county, same for any area that gets a once in 100 year or 1,000 year storm.

The other article is an attempt to explain some of the science behind climate change and how it might possibly relate to current weather events. I like articles that use science to help explain the world we live in.

So I can read both articles and see no dichotomy. It is not a black and white world out there..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:45 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

The seminar I went to a few years ago explained a few things on climate change worth noting. First, their models are only models and they predict different scenarios which include likely overall less precipitation, more volatility, increasing temps. Historic data shows increasing temps and volatility in the last 30years. However, California also has a long history of volatility in weather patterns though it appears that there are fewer “normal” years. What was more telling to me are the changes in vegetation as the plants are moving up in elevation from areas where they were documented in the 1970’s and 1980’s. This is also what I see when I compare the last few decades’ overall snowpack levels. We used to xcountry ski both sides of 395 frequently.