Forums
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: SoCal April Gray
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:31 pm 
Offline
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:36 pm
Posts: 9400
Location: In the gurgling maw of the Pacific.
Picked a taxing day for new plantings.
Maybe they will be extra strong now.


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: SoCal April Gray
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:57 am 
Offline
Dave's Run
Dave's Run
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 1254
I'm just throwing this out there....

Image

Image

_________________
The poster still known as Cheapski
Come for the weather, stay for the bacon, dont get kicked off the forum


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: SoCal April Gray
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:31 pm 
Offline
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:36 pm
Posts: 9400
Location: In the gurgling maw of the Pacific.
Psh thats MAY gray's thread.
More nearterm:
Quote:
At 9 AM PDT, water vapor satellite imagery displayed an upper-
level low just off the coast of northern California and
southwesterly flow over southern California. Fair weather will
continue today, with highs around 5 degrees below seasonal
normals.

The aforementioned low will move across central California
tomorrow, while the associated trough swings across southern
California. A tight pressure gradient in the upper-levels will
create the potential for strong and gusty winds across portions
of the mountains and deserts as the system moves by starting
tonight through Thursday night. 12Z guidance is starting to roll
in, and looks a bit stronger than the 00Z runs. Strongest west to
northwest wind gusts of 50 to 60 mph and isolated gusts to 70 mph
will be over portions of the San Diego and Riverside County
mountains and Deserts. Gusty, but weaker winds, are expected over
the San Bernardino County Mountains and Deserts. Moisture will be
mainly marine layer driven as the system moves by. Isolated to
scattered showers are expected with a few hundredths possible over
the coast and valleys and up to one-quarter inch possible along
the coastal mountain slopes, mainly tomorrow morning through the
afternoon. Snow levels will lower to 5500-6500 ft, with around an
inch of snow possible above 6000 ft. Highs will lower 10 to 20
degrees below normal Thursday.

News heads say 30% chance at the coasts. We'll know in 24hours.

Image


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: SoCal April Gray
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:20 am 
Offline
Dave's Run
Dave's Run
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 1254
As I suspected in the other thread the system swiped the Bay Area but now I hope the SB/VTU area doesnt get a bad surprise overnight.

Image

_________________
The poster still known as Cheapski
Come for the weather, stay for the bacon, dont get kicked off the forum


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: SoCal April Gray
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:29 am 
Offline
Rodger's Ridge
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:24 pm
Posts: 12635
Last night was beautiful out in Borrego Springs. I stayed out there planning to shoot again tonight but didn't know there was a high wind warning. It got so bad that I drove home at 1am.


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: SoCal April Gray
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:25 am 
Offline
Climax
Climax
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:04 pm
Posts: 2850
Location: South facing foothills of the Santa Susanas
I haven't been paying attention 'cause didn't really think anything would materialize. Maybe we'll get some cold virga...?
Image
Instability lurking around the Point...?
Image

Lox this am - tidbit
Down sloping off of
the transverse ranges of sba and vta counties combined with the
upper level support outrunning the surface cold front is expected
to lead to rapid weakening of the main rain band early this
morning with only isolated to scattered showers continuing into
vta and la counties later this morning. Wrap around moisture may
support showers lingering into the afternoon across the north
slopes of la and vta County. This is an unusually cold system for
late April with snow levels falling down to around 4000 feet at
this morning before likely rising some with assistance of the
Spring sun angle by the afternoon. An isolated thunderstorm or two
can't be ruled out with this cold and dynamic system, even though
available moisture is somewhat lacking
. This threat is slightly
higher with the rain band early this morning, transition to
interior mountains by this afternoon. Rain and snowfall amounts
are expected to be generally light,

_________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the places and moments that take our breath away. - ANONYMOUS


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: SoCal April Gray
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:53 am 
Offline
Climax
Climax
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:04 pm
Posts: 2850
Location: South facing foothills of the Santa Susanas
Whataya know it's raining...kind of...for how long...?

_________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the places and moments that take our breath away. - ANONYMOUS


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: SoCal April Gray
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:43 am 
Offline
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:30 pm
Posts: 510
Rain in Huntington Beach.

Go figure, 90% chance of rain....Nothing, 80% chance of rain.....Nothing, now we get a 20% chance and we get rain.
Happy to get it though, smells great.

Just a few hundredths at best but enough to clean the pollen out of the air. Pretty cold too.

48 degrees in Downey right now.


Last edited by playfulcoyote on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: SoCal April Gray
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:13 am 
Offline
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:36 pm
Posts: 9400
Location: In the gurgling maw of the Pacific.
I HOPE its enough to strain out the pollen.
Worst year in a decade for my allergies.
Whatever it is its been prickly pollen.


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: SoCal April Gray
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:14 pm 
Offline
Rodger's Ridge
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:24 pm
Posts: 12635
Decent cold rain in the SD mountains. Snow level seems around 6K right now.


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: SoCal April Gray
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:26 pm 
Offline
Dave's Run
Dave's Run
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 1254
The 12Z GFS still sees a cold cutoff L coming ashore in SoCal watch it go to Baja.

Image

_________________
The poster still known as Cheapski
Come for the weather, stay for the bacon, dont get kicked off the forum


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: SoCal April Gray
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:38 pm 
Offline
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:36 pm
Posts: 9400
Location: In the gurgling maw of the Pacific.
Sunset, people!


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: SoCal April Gray
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:29 am 
Offline
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:00 am
Posts: 981
That was a very nice sunset !


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: SoCal April Gray
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:34 am 
Offline
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:36 pm
Posts: 9400
Location: In the gurgling maw of the Pacific.
snowhottie wrote:
The 12Z GFS still sees a cold cutoff L coming ashore in SoCal watch it go to Baja.

Image

Its not looking like Baja. Its not looking like SoCal either. But it does still look like a cutoff coming through still.

4/21 = best sunset of the year.


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: SoCal April Gray
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:56 pm 
Offline
Center Bowl
Center Bowl
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:56 am
Posts: 147
2NAKLLR wrote:
Sunset, people!
Chaney Trail, Altadena, 4/21/2018
Image


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group