Forums
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: May Madness!!!
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:48 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

^ Thanks. Hopefully before the snow flies again.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:29 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Sierra Lady wrote:
CORRECTION to my comment in my post above: Tioga Road to the east entrance of Yosemite NP opens Friday, 5/4/18 at 8:00 a.m. Crews are still doing rock and debris removal on the pass so no word yet on opening it up to the valley floor.

Thank you so much for posting this update, I wasn't thinking about Tioga Pass until you mentioned it. Because of that I went up there both Saturday and Sunday. I've always wanted to ride Tioga Road before they opened it to traffic. I got a pretty late start on Saturday and didn't get up there until 3:00 pm so most everyone had already come out of the park. The first hour I ran into a few bike riders riding back but after that I didn't see anyone for 4 hours. It was incredible having Toulome Meadows all to myself. The weather was perfect T-shirt weather until about 7 pm, and nothing but the sounds of the wind, water, birds and a few frogs. I planned on coming back up again on Sunday to watch the sunrise up there, but that just didn't happen. I did get back up there around noon and did a little snowboarding above Lake Ellery. Then I did one more thing I've always wanted to do, I rode the bike all the way down the grade to the Mobile station. So thanks to your timely update I was able to do three different things that I always wanted to do but have never done. I wish I could have stayed up there all week, as it was I tried talking the wife into calling in sick for today and staying up there another day. She wouldn't go for it (Boo! Hiss!)
I am going to have to pay closer attention in the future for when they open the road to the entrance but not the park. I definitely want to do that again, what a unique experience.

I'm am sorry to hear that you are leaving Mammoth for awhile, especially since you say it is not by choice. That doesn't sound good. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I am going to miss your frequent updates and pics on what is going on up there. I wish you well in Arizona and hope you can return as quickly as you would like.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:09 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

^ Bookmark the link below for Tioga Pass plowing updates in the future. Glad you enjoyed your adventures!
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm

Thanks for the kind words. We have to be in AZ for specialized medical treatments for Sierra Gentleman. We won’t know how long we have to live here...it all depends upon SG’s success and recovery. Thank God we have my family here for support. :inlove: :clap:

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:43 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Sierra Lady wrote:
^ Bookmark the link below for Tioga Pass plowing updates in the future. Glad you enjoyed your adventures!

Thanks for the kind words. We have to be in AZ for specialized medical treatments for Sierra Gentleman. We won’t know how long we have to live here...it all depends upon SG’s success and recovery. Thank God we have my family here for support. :inlove: :clap:

I thought it might be something like that, Here's wishing that the treatments are successful and that he can get back up into the mountains quickly. In the mean time enjoy the desert, it can be a special place also. You're definitely going to get some pretty spectacular light shows this summer.

Thanks for the link.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:27 pm 
Broadway
Broadway

Prayers the treatments are successful!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:14 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Half Dome cables will be up on the 11th. Tioga Rd can't be far behind.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:07 am 
Rodger's Ridge

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:33 am 
Rodger's Ridge

playfulcoyote wrote:
Sierra Lady wrote:

I thought it might be something like that, Here's wishing that the treatments are successful and that he can get back up into the mountains quickly. In the mean time enjoy the desert, it can be a special place also. You're definitely going to get some pretty spectacular light shows this summer.

Thanks for the link.

You’re welcome.

I spent a good portion of my summer vacations in AZ at my dad’s when I was a kid and many Christmas holidays ever since. Love the desert and the monsoons, but just don’t care for the extreme heat and living most of the days (after swimming laps, biking or waking early in the mornings) inside with the a/c. :sweat: We’ll be home this weekend to reconnoiter and tie up loose ends so I may be able to sneak in a ski session or two before leaving after Memorial Day weekend. I’m going to miss the cool ES this summer. :(

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:31 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Looks like almost 2" so far.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:58 am 
Rodger's Ridge

Currently the wind chill is 4° at the top. Mammoth is reporting 1-2" of new snow.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:00 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

snowhottie wrote:
MAY I point out, the GFS has been doing really well this Winter on its long range.

Winter just seems to be late in the West this year. This is for May 13.

Pretty close.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:30 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

More snow moving in this afternoon. Maybe even an inch more than yesterday from the looks of the radar.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:02 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Started to spit rain when we returned home at 4:00 today. It's snowing on the hill. Check out the cams!

Weird coming from triple digit extreme heat to 51 here this afternoon and the house at 61. SG fired up the pellet stove tonight! :D :clap:

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:59 am 
Rodger's Ridge

More to come?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:00 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

More than 1 storm it seems.