Forums
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cant keep silent anymore
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:06 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE implement some sort of park pass/ticket. The influx of families blocking features, using jib take-offs as jumps, and just general stupidity in the parks is getting OUT OF HAND.

(ex: You cant even ride chair 6 without a park pass.)

Maybe implement some sort of short training in order to even ride the parks. (Video education perhaps?)

Whatever it takes to keep the families (that dont ACTUALLY ride park) out of harms way.

I ride the parks EVERY DAY, and im sick of being called out for something that i did, when in FACT it was YOU blocking the features.

/rant.

Post subject: Re: Cant keep silent anymore
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:19 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

I feel you... I see the same crap mostly on weekends and holidays... go figure, right? Anyway, sequestering parks would be really great IMHO... For the safety of both sides of the discussion...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:16 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

I agree with this issue, it's quite damn annoying. There's often families sending their kids through the park, using the features as a slalom. Sometimes you even have the kids trying to make it up the feature, and obviously not having enough speed to get up halfway. Forest Trail gets pretty congested in the staging area as is, it makes it worse with the people blocking the features.

If this were happening at Wonderland, or Discovery chair, I wouldn't have a problem with it, that's where they're starting to learn. But come on, when they're going BETWEEN these larger features where it's essentially a blind landing before take-off, it's quite dangerous.

I've taken it upon myself to kindly inform the other guests & parents that it's dangerous. Instead, I get a dirty look or yelled back telling me to "mind my own business". To the parents, I just look to them like I'm a "punk kid snowboarder" anyway. (I'm 29)

I highly doubt it's in the resort's best interest to set separate passes for the park. What about a mountain host or ski patrol? While often times they're busy yelling at the "punk kid snowboarders" to slow down at the slow signs, there seems to be a much larger risk of people getting hurt in the park if there's a collision off of the feature.

And no, I'm not proposing to have a nanny yelling at us in the park either. But maybe someone to inform the offenders nicely before entering the park for their own safety. They'll probably take a yellow jacket host on skis much more seriously than us neon-jacket wearing snowboarders anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:20 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

I've chewed out a few people before. The parks are dangerous for everyone involved when you have idiots or young unsupervised kids messing around.
Now, I'm no young punk... but a 50yr old skier who likes to do a few smaller jumps.
I always check for traffic above and below a jump before I go but one year I was mid air and out of nowhere a young girl is going through the landing zone. I missed her by inches. If I had hit her, I would have seriously hurt not only her but myself.
I also hate those doofuses who like to sit on their asses planning their next jump/trick/whatever just below a landing zone. Not always easy to change directions to avoid them especially if you land off balance.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:12 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

The parks are from now on known as " The Darwin Zones "

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:17 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

sdp wrote:
I've chewed out a few people before. The parks are dangerous for everyone involved when you have idiots or young unsupervised kids messing around.
Now, I'm no young punk... but a 50yr old skier who likes to do a few smaller jumps.
I always check for traffic above and below a jump before I go but one year I was mid air and out of nowhere a young girl is going through the landing zone. I missed her by inches. If I had hit her, I would have seriously hurt not only her but myself.
I also hate those doofuses who like to sit on their asses planning their next jump/trick/whatever just below a landing zone. Not always easy to change directions to avoid them especially if you land off balance.

I hope to be still riding in the park when I'm your age. Much respect.

Photoho wrote:
The parks are from now on known as " The Darwin Zones "

:rofl:

I wouldn't want to get my pass clipped because of someone else not having the proper etiquette though

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:17 pm 
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

I'm sure some people just aren't aware of how anything works in a park, but for some of us, we are forced over to intermediate park terrain because the mountain doesn't have anything set up in the beginner parks.

The last couple of times that we've gone to ski the discovery chair at main they haven't had any jumps set up in the Disco park. My 5 yr old can ski blue runs so I've taken him over to forest trail just because there was nothing else close that was fun for him. He is still learning to judge his speed especially on the large style jumps so he has gotten stuck not making it to the top a couple of times.

I'm sure that if you had seen us, we would have been included in your "problem" group of people.

My only excuse for taking my 5 yr old on an intermediate park is that the beginner park basically wasn't set up. Dragging my beginner skier son across the entire mountain to see if Wonderland was setup wasn't really an option since we only had an hour or so to ski without my 3 yr old who can't handle blue runs. (nap time)

My kids love the jumps and it is really disappointing every time we go to main and they don't have anything set up. If the mountain did ever consider park passes it would be even more crucial for them to consistently have the smaller style jumps set up so beginners aren't forced into the more advanced terrain.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:20 pm 
Climax
Climax

I am all for it, BUT you park rats, and I will include myself, will have to pay more. R U ready to put up or shut up? :rock:

... You have to have a real love of your sport to carry you through all the bad times, you still want to ski even when things aren't working. You must have a commitment to work hard and to never give up. - Nancy Greene

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:38 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

visionep wrote:
I'm sure some people just aren't aware of how anything works in a park, but for some of us, we are forced over to intermediate park terrain because the mountain doesn't have anything set up in the beginner parks.

I see what you mean. Forest does have the smaller jumps at the lower half. Also, he could practice on the rollers or the "sister" jump, but not the big kicker.

Quote:

I'm sure that if you had seen us, we would have been included in your "problem" group of people.

If you know and taught your son the rules, waited your turn, and he simply didn't make it up the ramp, we don't have a problem. As long as he's not cutting people off on the takeoffs and landings without waiting his turn then we at least have time to avoid any possible collisions.

Quote:
My kids love the jumps and it is really disappointing every time we go to main and they don't have anything set up. If the mountain did ever consider park passes it would be even more crucial for them to consistently have the smaller style jumps set up so beginners aren't forced into the more advanced terrain.

Thanks for pointing that out, that's very true. we all used to be beginners at some point, at one point we did have to upgrade to the larger jumps. During that time someone had to teach us the rules, whether it was a friend, or another guest yelling at us for creating a hazard.

As I stated before, I don't think a park specific lift will be any help. Sometimes I take Thunderbound to head down to the Mill ASAP so I can get over to Goldrush if I'm trying to get to Eagle before the lifts close. If I were to jump on Broadway I might miss that 4:02 Lift at Goldrush. My only suggestion is again, to have hosts kindly informing guests in the park the proper rules... though I'm guessing the reason there isn't already is that it changes the whole mood if you have a park Nazi keeping the man down LOL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:34 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

check out the park pass that mountain creek implements -

http://www.mountaincreek.com/mountain/t ... park-pass/

You can take the "quiz" online before you even get there and it saves SOOOOOOOOO many accidents. The mountain is a small little hill in upstate NJ and used to have a huge problem with idiots stopping on the landing and at the end of features. If there is anyone from unbound reading this.... PLEASE do something. It is only a matter of time before someone gets hurt.

Even though any joe (or jill) can pass this quiz, it keeps the "wanderers" out and really really makes a difference!

Again PLEASE let's actually try to get this thing going! "Falling leaf" down the boarder cross course is a recipe for disaster when people are sending it as fast as they can through it.