Forums
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How long does it take to hit the XL jumps?
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:09 pm 
Sesame street
Sesame street

My boyfriend just started snowboarding this season and is up to blue/black groomers and a little off-piste when it's powdery. He just started taking the side jumps off Forest (not the gap ramp) but lands a little off balance a fair bit of the time. He wants to hit the XL jumps in Unbound Main - can anyone tell me how long it took them to work their way up to that from his level? He's convinced he can hit them next season, but I've been snowboarding for many years and I don't think that's a very realistic goal. He said he can just go off the jumps at half speed to start and not clear the knuckle, I think that's a sure way to injure yourself badly...

Post subject: Re: How long does it take to hit the XL jumps?
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:31 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

I'd say let him hit them now with one caveat... You MUST have a camera rolling and post the results here immediately....

Seriously though... kids are picking the sport up in record time and there is no "mandatory" time limit, if he is comfy on the forrest trail main hits and landing perfectly it may be time to step it up. I would advise against hitting "showtime" till he is extremely comfortable in the air on those other jumps however... Again, mandatory video post is required... :shock:

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:37 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

I wouldn't go straight from Forest Trail to Showtime, tell him to make his way up to South Park first.

Forest Trail jumps are still a manageable size where even if he completely knuckles it he won't be in pain. The South Park jumps are getting to the point where he better clear it or some pain will be felt :rofl:

My friends and I are hitting Forest just fine, but the South Park jumps are a bit scary. My friend tried showtime ONCE this season, and knuckled it. When he got to the top of the lip he said it felt like riding up a wall. The G-forces were a bit unexpected to it threw him a bit off balance and he was rolling down the windows the whole way down. Managed to get his feet down last second and absorb most of the impact but it didn't look good.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:08 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

until he can confidently ride the entire mountain and feel absolutely no sketch on the smallest of jumps would i even recommend going in the park at all.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:34 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Ok, you guys are just ruining my chances of seeing an epic fail video uploaded here... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:23 pm 
Broadway
Broadway

I will send you a go pro to film his attempts at mammoth superpark 2013/2014. 200 plus days a year for years are needed to get any good. He would have to move to mammoth at age 6 as there are 10 year olds stomping double corks on a daily basis.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:09 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

girloncrack wrote:
He wants to hit the XL jumps in Unbound Main - can anyone tell me how long it took them to work their way up to that from his level? He's convinced he can hit them next season, but I've been snowboarding for many years and I don't think that's a very realistic goal. He said he can just go off the jumps at half speed to start and not clear the knuckle, I think that's a sure way to injure yourself badly...

Sounds like you know whats up and he's not being very smart about his progression strategy. :idea:

Unfortunately, some people need to learn the hard way and painful injuries are a humbling consequence.

I will likely never hit the main jump line in Main Park… My ‘excuse’ is that I started Snowboarding in my 30's and I don’t think it’s a realistic goal unless I lived near a mountain and could ride 52 weeks a year.

I feel somewhat qualified to comment here as I have hit jumps that large (and larger) on a Motocross bike, so I know what it’s like to start out with nothing and progress in a dangerous sport. It took me a solid 5 years of riding at least once a week to get to the point where I was hitting what I consider ‘advanced jumps upwards of 70 feet in distance. This will vary wildly, because you could progress to an advanced level in 2-3 years if you were riding all the time, like 3-5+ days a week every week, you’d be riding like a champ in short order… Consistency is key… But you’re a fool if you ride once a week and think you are ready to try the big stuff.

But here’s the thing… You might huck yourself and pull it off… or perhaps fall but not hurt yourself that bad, and think, great, I’ve got this… In my opinion, yeah you get some props for pushing past your fears and trying hard to progress… but it’s only a matter of time before you break yourself off bad. The best riders have a solid foundation, and literally own the smaller features before taking it to the bigger ones. I have seen too many guys try and progress too fast, and yeah, they’re doing the bigger jumps, but they are squirrely as fcuk and their style sucks, and usually they are the ones getting hurt more often than the guys who have a solid foundation in what they are doing.

I could go on and on with my philosophy on this sort of thing, but the bottom line is that you’re an idiot if you think you can jump the gaps in Main Park halfway… You have no business being in there unless you are completely owning the main jump lines in Forrest Trail & Southpark first…. Be honest with yourself… You should be able to take it to the smaller parks lap after lap never falling, never shorting the jumps, and throwing some style and tricks into your mix before ever pointing it at a 70+ footer in main park… With speed and height come more forces at work. Be smart! And you will get there eventually.