Forums
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stomping Grounds Question???
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:13 am 
Sesame street
Sesame street

Do you have to take any kind of lesson before you can use the Acrobag? Or is it just go buy a pass for it and you're good to go?

Post subject: Re: Stomping Grounds Question???
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:31 am 
Rodger's Ridge

Nope. Anyone can pay to play.

http://www.mammothmountain.com/Mountain ... ingGround/

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:36 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Checked that deal out. The take off kicker was ultra steep. I can't remember any straight hit in the park ever having such a boot as that......

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:36 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

There are attendants in Stomping Grounds that will help prep you and give you advice for the air bag. Definitely would be good to mention to them if you've never used an air bag before and where to drop in from.

Josh said they are about to change it so there's a smaller jump and a bigger jump into the air bag.

I've used them at Windells Camp and they are a blast.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:43 am 
Climax
Climax

Wait, wait ,wait, so you are telling me that your $92 lift ticket, or $600 mvp pass, or $899/$1700 season pass doesn't get you into the stomping grounds? If this is true I call FOUL!!!! I will hold my rant until I get confirmation about this. bueller, bueller

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:00 am 
Rodger's Ridge

^ That's what the website says:

Quote:
Stomp those tricks for only $40/day*!

*Lift ticket or season pass required.

Stomping Grounds Day Ticket: $40
Get an upgraded ticket for access into the new Stomping Grounds terrain park. The best place to learn park skills with a variety of features and access to the air bag jump. Stomping Grounds will be manned by coaches who will offer tips and advice.

Stomping Grounds Season Pass: $499
Get a season pass for all-season long access into the new Stomping Grounds terrain park. The best place to learn park skills with a variety of features and access to the air bag jump. Stomping Grounds will be manned by coaches who will offer tips and advice.

www.mammothmuseum.org

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:01 am 
Climax
Climax

WOW! I need to collect my thoughts so I can really let loose.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:16 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

maxpower88 wrote:

No need to let loose. You pay for a lift ticket or season pass to ski on the mountain. The terrain park is open and you are more than welcome to use any snow feature in it without paying a premium.

The airbag set-up is a feature that isn't traditionally offered at resorts, a feature that most people aren't interested in using (and thus would object to paying for if it were lumped into their pass or ticket cost), and required a capital investment. Mammoth has every right to recoup the investment they made from people who plan to use the service.

I do not plan to use the service and would object to paying for something I didn't plan to use.

You might argue "well Mammoth should just use the money they are already charging us and let everyone use this for free" but that would result in diminished services elsewhere in the resort. You see, as far as I know, Mammoth Mountain is not a charity; they are a business. Their purpose is to please their shareholders while providing an enjoyable on-hill experience. You are already a pass holder, so it seems like you enjoy the hill plenty fine without an airbag to practice stomping tricks on.

Ski lessons, rental and demo equipment, and on-hill dining are not included in the cost of your season pass. They are additional services that you can purchase above and beyond the season pass you have already paid for. What makes the Stomping Ground any different?

If you really want to use the airbag, fork out some bucks and enjoy it.

T

TL;DR: I don't want to pay for something I won't use. Mammoth should charge those who do.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:29 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

maxpower88 wrote:

What if I told you Black Pass holders could use it for free? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:45 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

It is funny to see the Ski School / Black Pass signs at all the chairs now.

As far as charging for the airbag, I get it. There are three employees pulled up there all day...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:53 am 
Climax
Climax

Twomper wrote:
No need to let loose. You pay for a lift ticket or season pass to ski on the mountain. The terrain park is open and you are more than welcome to use any snow feature in it without paying a premium.

The airbag set-up is a feature that isn't traditionally offered at resorts, a feature that most people aren't interested in using (and thus would object to paying for if it were lumped into their pass or ticket cost), and required a capital investment. Mammoth has every right to recoup the investment they made from people who plan to use the service.

I do not plan to use the service and would object to paying for something I didn't plan to use.

You might argue "well Mammoth should just use the money they are already charging us and let everyone use this for free" but that would result in diminished services elsewhere in the resort. You see, as far as I know, Mammoth Mountain is not a charity; they are a business. Their purpose is to please their shareholders while providing an enjoyable on-hill experience. You are already a pass holder, so it seems like you enjoy the hill plenty fine without an airbag to practice stomping tricks on.

Ski lessons, rental and demo equipment, and on-hill dining are not included in the cost of your season pass. They are additional services that you can purchase above and beyond the season pass you have already paid for. What makes the Stomping Ground any different?

If you really want to use the airbag, fork out some bucks and enjoy it.

T

What a crock of bullshit, I am just saying what's next?! ^^That last sentence^^ I ALREADY FORKED OUT SOME BUCKS DUDE!!! Let us jump...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:59 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

maxpower88 wrote:
What a crock of bullshit, I am just saying what's next?! ^^That last sentence^^ I ALREADY FORKED OUT SOME BUCKS DUDE!!! Let us jump...

I understand what you're trying to say; but I fail to understand why, simply because you paid some money, that you should have access to everything for no additional charge. I want private lessons included in the on-hill privileges that come with my pass, but don't want to pay a premium for them.

The lift ticket / season pass are the price of entry into the playground. They get you up the hill quickly and help provide professional ski patrol services to make the experience as safe and enjoyable as possible. Being on the hill does not necessarily mean you have access to the ancillary services the resort offers at no additional fee.

Why should the cost of my Season pass be increased to cover the staffing and capital requirements of a niche market?

There are a number of likely reasons that Mammoth is charging a daily / season fee for the use of the Stomping Grounds including limited capacity (imagine the line if anyone could use the Stomping Grounds), need for additional staff, cost to insure, and the capital investment to purchase the device itself.

Based on your line of argument it seems you might be happier if Mammoth never brought the Stomping Ground to the ski area at all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:13 pm 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

"Why should the cost of my Season pass be increased to cover the staffing and capital requirements of a niche market?"

The unbound is a niche market... I am sure my pass is helping pay for that, and I never use it. Should I feel cheated?

http://mammothsnowman.com
http://discovermammoth.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:27 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

TheSnowman wrote:
The unbound is a niche market... I am sure my pass is helping pay for that, and I never use it. Should I feel cheated?

Steeps and groomer would also be considered "niche markets" under your definition. I would consider them, along with Unbound, to be drive markets for Mammoth. Many people come to Mammoth and ride in the Unbound exclusively... The park(s) are large and has a relatively high capacity although sometimes lines do form for features on busy days.

The "Stomping Grounds" is very much a niche product for a niche market. It has a low capacity and requires specialized equipment. The fee really serves two purposes in my mind:

1) Mammoth makes money.
2) It reduces demand.

Both of those are reasonable when considering that Mammoth is a business and has a right to make a reasonable profit while still offering an enjoyable experience.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:42 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

maxpower88 wrote:

$40 gets you all day usage and you think that's a bad deal? Earth to Max, come in Max....