Forums
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stomping Grounds Question???
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:11 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Can we just pay $8 per entry ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:17 pm 
Climax
Climax

Grizzly Barfly wrote:
$40 gets you all day usage and you think that's a bad deal? Earth to Max, come in Max....

$40 + $92=bad deal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:32 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

maxpower88 wrote:
$40 + $92=bad deal

Way cheaper than a private lesson, and if you are relatively competent at jumping, could really help you move to the next level..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:50 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Calling the "Whaaaaambulance". :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:55 pm 
Climax
Climax

Dude, I would love nothing more than to become a competent jumper but I just don't have the funds to pay for the extra ticket or a private lesson. I can see that it costs $ to get this thing up & running and to keep it going, but with all the other increases in price for things this year I thought this was a little much. I love Mammoth and want to take advantage of everything they offer I just can't afford it anymore, I know no one wants to hear the $ violin but one of these days you might be priced out too.

Last edited by maxpower88 on Fri May 27, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:23 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Location: Somewhere between Outpost 14 and Hash House a Go Go...
I think that when there is a feature or service that has always been complimentary is suddenly something you're being charged for, that's something to take issue with. I don't think that new features and services that come with price tags should automatically be included in the price of admission. Of course I'd like to be able to send my son off to the stomping grounds for the day at no cost, but I understand that a feature like that comes with it's own costs and they'll be passed along to me. I'll probably spend the money one day of a 5 day trip, and if he wants to go more he'll need to pony up the cash. I also think that most parents of teenagers or young adults will do exactly that, and I think Mammoth is counting on that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:42 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

maxpower88 wrote:
Dude, I would love nothing more than to become a competent jumper but I just don't have the funds to pay for the extra ticket or a private lesson. I can see that it costs $ to get this thing up & running and to keep it going, but with all the other increases in price for things this year I thought this was a little much. I love Mammoth and want to take advantage of everything they offer I just can't afford it anymore, I know no one wants to hear the $ violin but one of these days you might be priced out too. :!:

I know where you're coming from, but unfortunately, nothing is free. We can all make a list a mile long of things we would like for free from Mammoth. I think it is safe to assume that is not going to happen any time soon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:44 am 
Sesame street
Sesame street

maxpower88 wrote:
What a crock of bullshit, I am just saying what's next?! ^^That last sentence^^ I ALREADY FORKED OUT SOME BUCKS DUDE!!! Let us jump...

Hey Max. Shut up! If you don't want to spend the money and think it's a rip off... who cares? Other people will want to use it and if they think it's worth the money then they'll pay. But you made your point - quit repeating it. We get it. You don't have the money to fork over. NOBODY CARES! Your boring. Nobody is forcing you to use the service.

I think it's great that Mammoth has put this out there for public use. Good for you Mammoth. Resources like this will help a lot of people learn things they never would have been able to in the past. That's progressing the sport!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:47 am 
Climax
Climax

MeAgain wrote:
Hey Max. Shut up! If you don't want to spend the money and think it's a rip off... who cares? Other people will want to use it and if they think it's worth the money then they'll pay. But you made your point - quit repeating it. We get it. You don't have the money to fork over. NOBODY CARES! Your boring. Nobody is forcing you to use the service.

I think it's great that Mammoth has put this out there for public use. Good for you Mammoth. Resources like this will help a lot of people learn things they never would have been able to in the past. That's progressing the sport!

Well I was going to let this die but since you feel like intruding on my first amendment rights by telling me to shut up & no body cares I think I will rebut. You sure care huh, you took all that time to sign up for this forum to tell me to shut up? Is that how it is in your family? When your mommy or daddy didn't like what you were jabbering about did they tell you to shut up or maybe even worse they really didn't care about you and you wish someone would of told you to shut up. Listen douche, I will say what ever I want, when ever I want on this forum and the only person that has any kind of say over MAX POWER is Brahm! So if you don't like my opinions maybe the Mammoth forum just isn't for you, and not being able to handle other people thoughts and ideas without belittling them because you don't agree is real weak. I think I hear the homeroom bell, back to school little girl. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:36 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

MeAgain wrote:

I think this is the only part of this post that is constructive.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:34 am 
Broadway
Broadway

So for the $5.00 increase for this years lift tickets, what additional features does Mammoth give us for this to justify the increase? That $5 alone would take care of those extra employees. Oh wait I forgot, my bad... the mountain needs to make more $ and they know people will pay it. I grew up in Mammoth & love it, but I will only go this year when I can get a discounted rate, otherwise Tahoe even though it is not Mammoth has many ski resorts for a lot less $ & also lodging is way cheaper. I'm just saying..... This can only make it better for the local MVP card holders.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:14 am 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

^I guess I don't really understand why people think prices will never rise. I received an increase at work this past year, and I expect one next year. My job hasn't changed, nor has the amount of hours I put in. I assume that most people get increases each year, unless they are at minimum wage (and even then there are increases, just not always yearly). Wages increase, expenses increase and in turn revenue needs to increase in order to maintain a profitable business. I have no idea what it costs to keep the stomping grounds open, but I do know that if the revenue they generate from it doesn't cover the costs, you won't see as a permanent fixture.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:33 am 
Climax
Climax

mspamelablythe wrote:
^I guess I don't really understand why people think prices will never rise. I received an increase at work this past year, and I expect one next year. My job hasn't changed, nor has the amount of hours I put in. I assume that most people get increases each year, unless they are at minimum wage (and even then there are increases, just not always yearly). Wages increase, expenses increase and in turn revenue needs to increase in order to maintain a profitable business. I have no idea what it costs to keep the stomping grounds open, but I do know that if the revenue they generate from it doesn't cover the costs, you won't see as a permanent fixture.

What a fantastic, lucid, respectful point that still holds the view of mspamelablythe without taking away anything from fshrdi and leaving him or her their dignity. $5 lift increase is minor by my standards and expected for any business to be lucrative & successful so not even an issue. I am just a little disappointed about the extra $40 because I had visions of my self doing flips and crazy tricks that otherwise would be impossible, unless I went to Copper and paid $! So I do see the point in charging extra for stomping grounds but I guess like Billy Mumphrey I was a cockeyed optimist who got himself mixed up in the high stakes game of world diplomacy and international intrigue & thought it might be complimentary to learn to flip. Silly me, if you want to be the best you need to pay. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:45 am 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

^I'm fantastically lucid!!! There's a first! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:49 am 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

maxpower88 wrote:
Well I was going to let this die but since you feel like intruding on my first amendment rights by telling me to shut up & no body cares I think I will rebut.

Hey, Max, just wanted to let you know that First Amendment rights only protect your speech from the government, not your fellow citizens.

United States Constitution, Bill of Rights, Amendment One: wrote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

As you see, there is no reference there regarding the interactions of private citizens with one and other.

fishrdi wrote:
So for the $5.00 increase for this years lift tickets, what additional features does Mammoth give us for this to justify the increase? That $5 alone would take care of those extra employees. ...(rant)... I'm just saying..... This can only make it better for the local MVP card holders.

I beg to differ. Mammoth has the right, and the expectation from their shareholders, to make a healthy profit every year. Breaking even on upgrades is not good enough for a business. In Capitalist economies, businesses exist to make profits... those that do not make profits fail. I do not want to see Mammoth fail as a business because it would be devastating to the regional economy. Do I think it sucks that ticket and pass prices rise every year? Yes, but it is a necessary evil.... and if you don't like paying $92 (or however much it is this year) per day, buy a season pass... or ski June (and buy a season pass there, instead).

If you are a former local who grew up in the area you might remember a Mammoth of yore, with Dave McCoy at it's helm, but don't forget the infamous "Black Monday" incident because the resort was practically insolvent and nearly went belly-up. In today's economy similar circumstances would likely shutter the resort and cause it to be sold.

Finally, don't forget that Mammoth builds new chairlifts and has to maintain aging infrastructure... That costs money. Cloud 9? It wasn't free. Ski lifts don't maintain themselves, their parts don't get cheaper, and electricity rates are on the rise. Employing people in California is not cheap and the price of having employees generally raises year after year. Further, they pay their employees a fair wage for the area, make benefits available, and single-handedly drive most of the local economy in the winter.... and from what I understand most MVP holders aren't "locals".

Basically, fishrdi, things are more expensive as time progresses. I think Ms. Pamela Blythe put things into perspective succinctly:

mspamelablythe wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next