Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I could use some advice....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:13 pm 
Sesame street
Sesame street

been skimming thru the site for the past couple of days, got a lifty position today, decided to make an account and ask some of those questions mammoth n00b's tend to ask!
Second, just wanna say im super excited for the opportunity to work in beautiful mammoth... I'm 22, from socal, and looking to live my dream of being a lift operator! oh ya! lol just kidding, but seriously...way excited.

I just wanted to get some advice from the forum vet's, lifty's, (or anyone that has some "advice" for that matter) about what its like to be up there, what to expect.... perhaps some tricks of the trade? (anything from the lifty position to where to grab a brew)
Anything you feel like........ "hey, i wish someone told me about this earlier"..... kinda advice.
Any kind of input would be awesome. I've read that employee housing can sometimes be not so fun, along with the entry level lifty position.. but hey, im here for the experience and im here to keep it POSITIVE!

ill be rooming at "the chutes" for the winter and finish my schooling during the summer. Looking to live in mammoth hopefully more than just the winter, God willing.

but seriously, anything bones you guys wanna throw my way would be AWESOME!

Thanks a lot! hope to see you guys soon!

Last edited by Young_Skywalker on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: I could use some advice....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:26 pm 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Move to Jackson Hole... Wish someone would have told me that when I was 20 something... :D Kidding of course but good luck and enjoy your ride!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:27 pm 
Climax
Climax

Remember that working on the mountain is not like saving a life unless you are ski patrol. You are here so enjoy your work, your ride breaks and your friends.
1. If you party too hard the cops here will arrest you and take you to Bridgeport and you have to find your own way home, so play nicely.
2. MMSA is a fun place to work but they have a low tolerance for nonsense.
3. Do not get sucked into the locker room gossip, walk away and spend as little time in a locker room as possible.
4. Save your money because without warning your hours WILL get cut.
5. If you work really hard there is a possibility they will hire you for the summer gondola.
6. If you live in employee housing they WILL search your room while you are at work and look for contraband.
7. Do not let anyone tell you how it is to be here, you make up your own mind.
8. If you are not used to skiing/riding above the tree line you will get hit at least once, so wear a helmet.
9. Remember why you came here to have fun, so have fun, just not at anyone else expense.

... You have to have a real love of your sport to carry you through all the bad times, you still want to ski even when things aren't working. You must have a commitment to work hard and to never give up. - Nancy Greene

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:43 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Don't get so drunk that you forget to go to work.
Don't go to work drunk.
Be nice to ski patrol...you never know when you're gonna need 'em.
Even when you think your job sucks, remind yourself that it could be worse.

Try not to wear your ski boots if you're not skiing. You'll get something called sixth toe, which I guarantee is not fun.
Wear sunscreen if it is sunny.
DRINK WATER!!!!!!!!!!!
Wear something on your face if its windy. I have permanent damage on the left side of my face from having exposed skin during an avalanche route. Granted, I worked in Colorado so it was much colder, but the threat of frostbite is still a real danger.
If you're driving a snowmobile, wear your hearing protection. I can't hear worth a darn anymore.

</mom>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:48 pm 
Sesame street
Sesame street

Snow D wrote:
Move to Jackson Hole... Wish someone would have told me that when I was 20 something... :D Kidding of course but good luck and enjoy your ride!

Actually, I had the same reaction when I went to Jackson Hole. I just didn't know about it at the time. Nevertheless, I had a lot of fun living at Mammoth as an employee. Made great friends at the time during 2010/2011. And it was during snowpocalypse! :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:17 pm 
Broadway
Broadway

Good place to grab some Mexican in town is a place called Roberto's Cafe. Bomb margaritas and decent chips/salsa.

Looking for a breakfast that'll keep you full all day? Hit up The Stove. It's like Denny's, but on overload. The portions are huge, but the pancakes are yum.

Decent BBQ is Angel's. Yummy honey butter and good, giant beef ribs.

I'm not a local but I've been to Mammoth so many times, I feel like I know some of the best places to eat!

Also, the Westin has a pretty good happy hour, but it is a tad on the pricey side - so just be aware of that.

The best part of living in Mammoth is exploring on your off days... Look around! The town is a lot of fun and it's a great new experience for you to try something different. Enjoy your time and maybe see you in line sometime! :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:05 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Ya'll realize you're replying to a post from 2013?