Forums
It is currently Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mammoth Mountain current snow conditions ?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:50 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

PE395 wrote:
Wow. I can understand charging more on popular days (though it's counter intuitive, pay more for longer lines), or less during slow periods. But charging more for good conditions? That's pretty lame.

The thinking is that on holidays and good snow days there will be bigger crowds so the price goes up to help thin the herd but the higher pricing offsets the loss of people.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:52 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

1/6/2014 vs 1/6/2017

As geometrically close as I could get to the same spot hah.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:42 am 
Climax
Climax

PE395 wrote:
Sierra Lady wrote:
cheapski wrote:
They're either passholders or likely on a multi day ticket they've paid for.

Is it really $129 now?

Hard to say what the pricing is since MMSA now follows the "dynamic" pricing craze. This means that they can raise the price when there is new snow or lower it if conditions aren't optimum. Prices are no longer posted on their website anymore and you will see the daily rate on the electronic board behind the ticket counters, which could differ daily.

Wow. I can understand charging more on popular days (though it's counter intuitive, pay more for longer lines), or less during slow periods. But charging more for good conditions? That's pretty lame.

This is the best thing the mountain has done yet to control crowds.
We skied the over New Year holidays and it was empty compared to past seasons.The lines are shorter, not longer PE395 Everyone we talked to that did not have a pass decided to spend less time on the hill and more around town. They were priced out of multiple ski days. Our condo parking was overflowing so I know people were in town. Just not skiing. Keep those ticket prices high! We are actually rethinking about skiing those 3 day weekends again this season. Same goes for condo rentals. I love the dynamic pricing and hope it stays for good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:47 am 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Quote:
Keep those ticket prices high!

And no cRusty Free Friday's! :lol:

love the dumpage! :clap:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:55 am 
Rodger's Ridge

More chairs open today, which isn't saying much, but we can't get out of the driveway so we're just waiting for the plow to come so we can get to Canyon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:59 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

twins wrote:
PE395 wrote:
Sierra Lady wrote:
cheapski wrote:

Is it really $129 now?

Hard to say what the pricing is since MMSA now follows the "dynamic" pricing craze. This means that they can raise the price when there is new snow or lower it if conditions aren't optimum. Prices are no longer posted on their website anymore and you will see the daily rate on the electronic board behind the ticket counters, which could differ daily.

We skied the over New Year holidays and it was empty compared to past seasons.The lines are shorter, not longer PE395 Everyone we talked to that did not have a pass decided to spend less time on the hill and more around town. They were priced out of multiple ski days. Our condo parking was overflowing so I know people were in town. Just not skiing. Keep those ticket prices high! We are actually rethinking about skiing those 3 day weekends again this season. Same goes for condo rentals. I love the dynamic pricing and hope it stays for good.

Would you feel the same way if the MVP passes were blacked out on busy weekends? Totally agree about the 3-day weekends - I have avoided Mammoth for years on those weekends. I'm guessing this w/e will be epic, but a complete S- show. I do not envy ski patrol one bit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:02 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

twins wrote:
PE395 wrote:
Sierra Lady wrote:
cheapski wrote:

Is it really $129 now?

Again, I've always understood higher prices at peak visitation times. It's the idea that good conditions cost more that kinda sucks. (Mind you as a pass holder, it doesn't matter to me.) But let's say you planned a trip for a random weekend, and happened to "score" with a storm and good snow. You're basically penalized for your good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:21 am 
Rodger's Ridge

The Xmas and NY holidays are the biggest peak times of the year. Maybe we should wait to see how the other peak periods play out.

As a cautionary note Twins. Disneyland back in the 90s began raising its prices as a form of crowd control too, hoping to eventually find a stable price point. The result was more and more people kept coming with each price increase so they kept going. The annual visitation is now 16 million and I think we all know what those prices are.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:49 am 
Climax
Climax

cheapski wrote:
The Xmas and NY holidays are the biggest peak times of the year. Maybe we should wait to see how the other peak periods play out.

As a cautionary note Twins. Disneyland back in the 90s began raising its prices as a form of crowd control too, hoping to eventually find a stable price point. The result was more and more people kept coming with each price increase so they kept going. The annual visitation is now 16 million and I think we all know what those prices are.

We have Disneyland passes that have blackout days right now.Works for us as we do not have to go at peak times.
The difference between Disneyland and Mammoth is that the dynamic pricing is working at Mammoth "less crowds on the hill".Not so much at Disneyland.People will spend their last penny for a Disney experience.
I would expect a season pass structure this coming year with possible blackout dates or weekdays only option. That makes total business sense and might bring more people up.
The hills goal should be to keep busy but "manageable" 7 days a week. A win win for all of us.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:40 pm 
Climax
Climax

Location: Hidden Valley St Louis, MO- 310 really BIG vertical ft
There's always June but as everyone knows... June Sux.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:02 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Fun stuff today but nothing epic, lots of people competing for few open lifts. We went Old School and did laps on 21 until 4 finally opened.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:31 pm 
Broadway
Broadway

SurfnSnowboard wrote:
Fun stuff today but nothing epic, lots of people competing for few open lifts. We went Old School and did laps on 21 until 4 finally opened.

How's the snow feel, still riding heavy or more in line with our average sierra pow now that its been colder? In order words, was your track a more than a few inches deep...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:41 pm 
Climax
Climax

Mike and SNS,

If you have any tips, let me know. My guys aren't exactly the type to push the point but they were both shutdown by reps on 1800mammoth...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:59 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

pkerr wrote:
There's always June but as everyone knows... June Sux.

Last week I bought a "Red Sucks" t-shirt. Perhaps your son designed?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:02 pm 
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Looked at the cams and finished cleaning out snow on ground level... now it's on to fixing the blower and getting 4 feet off are massive deck.

Cheers to the sidewalk blower guy for blowing off the 3 foot berm!!!! :clap:

Got to get ready for the next 8 feet coming late next week.

http://mammothsnowman.com
http://discovermammoth.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next