Forums
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:15 pm 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

There's a better thread for this due to the following point...

In a typical workday a liftie will load about 4000 chairs -- it gets boring after awhile. Skiers and snowboarders like me, especially on hobbiest forums, like to think of riding the lift for another lap as "ain't no thing". Some kooks like to establish their virility by moaning about others who lower the safety bar, or by behaving intolerantly to safety concerns like the proper height of the seat. What we all must remember is that the lifts are machines that can be (and always are) very dangerous.

How it happened, well, the bar has two footrests. Three skiers wanted to load. Two of them were standing where escape was fairly easy. That left the middle one standing at the gap between the two footrests. She couldn't go left nor right, started screaming thinking a liftie would be smart enough to press the button, he didn't, so she tried to scurry in the only direction available -- the "hole" right in front of her. As she did this the footrest just scooped her up.

Post subject: Re: Snow Conditions Winter 17/18
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:51 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

I dont know how it is these days w 2Speed 6s w synched conveyeors and rfid ticket checking but back in my day someone was at least looking at each chair loaded. Or am I that out of touch?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:36 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

The bar at Chair 2 was down once last year when we got on and my husband has had it happen twice this year. Not only the lifties need to pay attention, I'm now checking those chairs as they come around. Seems crowded this week for early January mid week. Snow has a lot of moisture in it but fun and fairly good coverage out of Main.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:59 am 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

ShiftyRider wrote:
Some kooks like to establish their virility by moaning about others who lower the safety bar, or by behaving intolerantly to safety concerns...

Only the biggest phucking dirtbag idiots have anything to say about lowering a safety bar or paying attention while loading or on a lift.

Watching a 3rd guy trying to load with others on a 2 seater once about made me want to quit resorts in general. When another guy in line spoke up telling them to pay attention and know the rules, they tried to defend themslevs and say 'awww it's all good man, why are you so mad, we're here to have fun, yada yada'. :@

Almost got in a fight with a kid who thought it was great fun to bounce up and down as hard as he could on an old fixed grip two seater while yelling on the ride up. :-x

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:35 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Quote:
Watching a 3rd guy trying to load with others on a 2 seater once about made me want to quit resorts in general. When another guy in line spoke up telling them to pay attention and know the rules, they tried to defend themslevs and say 'awww it's all good man, why are you so mad, we're here to have fun, yada yada'. :@

Makes me think of deadliest catch. Heavy machinery and potentially severe weather. Stop paying attention and you get smashed.

On chair 13 I had to stuff a child back into the seat as was procedure. I went for next chair coming to bump for the next guests and I heard a yell. I looked up the line and the kid I had stuffed in was dangling by the hood of his onesie w his dad holding on to it. I hit stop and postholed into the pit to try and grab him but the momentum of the chair stopping swung him forward and dad let go. Kid landed and face hit knee w lots of blood. Called patrol and kid attended to. Dad lit into me about not stopping the chair sooner...from above.

My report jibed w his aside from stopping times but distance and speed facts were on my side. The kid inexplicably went rigid in his seat after I put him in and slid right off and dad caught his hood. Kid got a bunch of stitches in his mouth. Pay attention was reinforced on both sides.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:40 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Oh and it not "funny" having your ski [or you] retrieved from the net.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:21 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

1/12/18 Finally enjoyed another ski day! It was a brief session, but very enjoyable. Nice fresh-up of snow last weekend made for good conditions. I wanted to get out before the MLK, Jr. crowds arrived.

Every time I went to load on a chair, I watched it come around the bullwheel...just in case! ;)

Building the massive jumps for next week's Grand Prix - Olympic qualifiers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:25 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

The job would appear to be fairly simple and I never really gave it much thought before but when you think of the number of people in a day that a liftie has to load and how many of those people may be tired, sick, drunk, high, reckless, careless, distracted, clueless, entitled or just straight out complete idiots and I have to say I have a much greater respect for the responsibilities of the job. I think I would be getting pissed off at people about every 15 minutes if not more frequently.

Also as far as the safety bar being down I wonder how it got knocked down in the first place. if it happened up top then the lift operator up the hill should have noticed and mentioned it and someone (of all the people waiting to go up) would have noticed it as the chair approached. I know a lot of people like to grab the chair in front of them as they move in to position, I wonder if someone knocked it down. I guess the message is pay attention at all times and give your local liftie an "attaboy" and a "thank you" the next time you board the lift.

Last edited by playfulcoyote on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:31 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

6IX wrote:
ShiftyRider wrote:
Some kooks like to establish their virility by moaning about others who lower the safety bar, or by behaving intolerantly to safety concerns...

Only the biggest phucking dirtbag idiots have anything to say about lowering a safety bar or paying attention while loading or on a lift.

Almost got in a fight with a kid who thought it was great fun to bounce up and down as hard as he could on an old fixed grip two seater while yelling on the ride up. :-x

I don't care either way if someone wants to lower a bar or to leave it up (It's definitely nice to have the foot rest and extra safety is always a good thing) but I do get annoyed at the people that lower the bar without checking to see if the other people on the chair are ready for it to come down. Some people are always in their own little world clueless to the other people around them.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:15 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

playfulcoyote wrote:
6IX wrote:
ShiftyRider wrote:

I don't care either way if someone wants to lower a bar or to leave it up (It's definitely nice to have the foot rest and extra safety is always a good thing) but I do get annoyed at the people that lower the bar without checking to see if the other people on the chair are ready for it to come down. Some people are always in their own little world clueless to the other people around them.

After yet another knee scoping, I love the footrest. Got bonked on the head last day out on my first ride by my co-riders that dropped the bar without warning. At least I was wearing a helmet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:13 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Seat heights are absurdly low once again on 1,2,3 & 5!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:06 pm 
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Day 3 of our season & this trip. The groomed snow plus the lovely windbuff have created
some really wonderful conditions. Hats off to the Groomer & snow making Folks, very nicely done. Hill is absolutely empty. BUT the seats are still painfully low!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:50 am 
Rodger's Ridge

This wind and flat light is going to play havoc with the Grand Prix athletes today and tomorrow. I feel for them. I pray for safe landings!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:02 am 
Climax
Climax

Location: Hidden Valley St Louis, MO- 310 really BIG vertical ft
June got more snow than Mammoth in the latest snowfall?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:11 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

^ IKR? They got 4-7" to our 2-4". Must have been some lake-effect business going on there. We'll take all the snow we can get at this point.

Are you coming here this year?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next