Forums
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winter Olympics 2018!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:35 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

^ Ha, they'll show up. I watched it from 5-8 pm and it was wonderful without being too Las Vegas showy. Loved the history, culture and traditions the announcers spoke about. Well done South Korea!

Last edited by Sierra Lady on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:20 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Turns out oiled Tongan flagbearer is a cousin in law to my mom's caregiver. He sure made my mom's night.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:06 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

A couple of things that are driving me nuts;
With SO MUCH going on it is impossible to televise it all - I get that. So why do they keep repeating the events they are showing? For those that have DirecTV, it's just channels 4, 220 and 339, right? I'm not even seeing any live coverage on 624.

WTH with the IOC slap-on-the-wrist to the Soviet Union? I see almost no difference between their athletes competing as the "Soviet Union team" vs. group of athletes competing as a "team of athletes from the Soviet Union". I thought the penalty was the athletes could compete as individuals if they could prove they were clean, but not as a team (no Hockey team, no team figure skating/ice dancing team (that took silver), no curling teams etc.).

I love the Koreans working together, but am I the only one that found the groups of organized, uniform cheerleaders in the hockey area to be, I dunno, kinda creepy? At first I thought those were just the North Korean people that were sent by their government, but now I'm wondering if those people are actually from South Korea. Seems like that makes it even more creepy.

Just my imagination, or are there A LOT of empty seats at all of the events?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:41 pm 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Funny I can watch ch600 "Olympic experience" splitscreen w ch220 and 624 but I dont get 624 alone in my tier.

Right now 624 is condensing the speedskating thats full length on 220. Wtf.

I dislike NBC Universal altogether. Even ch4 local blows so no surprise their coverage is more a NBC Universal infomercial. Try streams they will nickle n dime ya.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:14 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

I'm enjoying the main broadcast. Its nice to see events live in the late afternoon and evening, and if I miss then I can catch up immediately. I like that they use a split screen so they can run their ads and not break away if something is imminent.

BTW Mt. High can claim a Gold medalist now. Congrats Chloe Kim.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:47 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

^ And Chloe trains here in Mammoth. Amazing athlete for so young! Congrats to Arielle Gold, also for a fantastic run! Shaun White continues to blow everyone away and tonight were just the qualifiers! Ben Ferguson threw down a great run as well!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:33 am 
Rodger's Ridge

Why Mammoth is to snowboarding what Silicon Valley is to tech

Posted on FB by my friend Liz who is TJ's mom. Excellent job on our parks and pipes, TJ!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:59 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

Impressive finale, Shaun...congrats on your gold. Mammoth and the world is proud of you!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:56 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

WHOA! The truth is even creepier than I thought;
http://www.businessinsider.com/suki-kim-north-korea-sent-hundreds-cheerleaders-olympics-2018-2

Quote:
North Korea sent 22 athletes to the 2018 Olympics, and hundreds of cheerleaders to support them. Suki Kim, a writer who spent months undercover in North Korea, explains what's really going on behind this "army of beauties." Following is a transcript of the video.

Suki Kim: "The Army of Beauties," that's a phrase the Western media concocted because I'd never heard that in South Korea. In South Korea, they're just called cheerleaders or beautiful cheerleaders. So this business of beauty, or cheerleaders, or army. First of all, they are not an army and they are not cheerleaders. They're actually college students who've been rounded up by the government to be sent overseas to look pretty. So these young women are just citizens who, they've been chosen because the regime put some selection criteria which has to do with young age, looking pretty-- whatever they consider, from a good family, having loyalty to the party, and of a certain height-- about 5 foot 3 at least.

It's almost like a beauty contest, but except it's not a beauty contest 'cause you've been forced to take this position. And you don't have an option as a North Korean citizen. So when we're seeing these young women cheering, they're not like cheerleaders that you see. They didn't come there on their own will. They've been ordered by their regime. So they'll go back to their lives and it's as if these past few days never happened for them because they're not allowed to discuss any of it back home.

But you know, this is not that unusual-- in North Korea, citizens are rounded up for a different purpose. If you go to North Korean restaurants, there are about over a hundred of them. A lot of them in China, Cambodia, Malaysia, these restaurants are served by North Korean women.

They're not waitresses, they're just young women who also have been selected to serve there and sing and pour drinks for foreign men and raise cash. Somehow, this has been turned into one of North Korea's greatest propaganda successes despite the fact that this is the second time South Korea has hosted the Olympics. The first time was back in '88, which was marred by North Korea's terrorist attack against South Korea by bombing an airplane which killed over 100 civilians. This time, it just looks to be almost hijacked by North Korea, and the moment having been used for legitimizing North Korea.

And what we're seeing in the media is all about all the positive aspects of North Korea which is astounding. North Korea is one of the biggest gulags in the world and they conducted a sixth nuclear test last September. That's merely five months ago. So the turnaround of North Korea in the world's eye has just changed overnight it seems.

It's really an odd phenomenon. There's an amnesia in the world about actually what's really going on with North Korea. That country has really nothing to do with either cheerleaders or Olympics, which actually is about the world coming together.

North Korea's the one place the world is not allowed to enter. And its citizens cannot actually come out of their country to see their world.

Edit to add this (a little long, but VERY interesting!)
https://youtu.be/csoP8Didoi0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:46 am 
Rodger's Ridge

I think the interest over North Korea is the naive view that maybe this symbolizes a new opportunity for peace and possibly reunification of the two Koreas.

Personally I think it's all just propaganda.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:42 am 
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Ya gotta remember, for better or worse, they have turned the Olympics into a G-rated production suitable for families, who tend to prefer propoganda about fulfilling sports dreams over propoganda about destroying mankind while phalically lamenting Leader's little hands.

I been digging all the biathlon etc with Tony Romo doing the commentary. Kinda ruined it watching this morning, apparently it ain't Romo after all.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:30 am 
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Olympics are awesome. NBC sucks.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... r-olympics

Epic nothing to lose performance by a knuckle draggin wannabe skierkook. Cool story.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:10 pm 
Rodger's Ridge

^ Loved watching her run! What a historic Olympic story!

Hopefully Vonn will do better in her next disciplines.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:46 pm 
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Ledecka's "whats going on?" expression at the end of her run is classic.

Ah the US Women's XC ski team didnt get their medal but what great Top 5 finishes (mostly) from Jessie Diggins. I hope they can build up from here.

And Nathan Chen. I was going to feel really bad if he continued to decline but he finished on an upward trajectory again. Chalk it down to nerves and try again in 2022.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:14 am 
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Elizabeth Swaney makes skiing halfpipe look so easy anyone could do it;
https://youtu.be/Gv_K1q2DRGg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next